This is our story.
Salesian College Chadstone: Established in 1957
50 acres of land was donated to the Salesians by Miss Louisa Moroney, daughter of a well-known pioneering family in the Oakleigh district, at the recommendation of Archbishop Mannix.
During 1956 three classrooms and a hall were built in an open field near Waverley Road.
February 1957, the College opened its doors with an enrolment of 61 students in Forms One and Two.
All staff were Salesian priests and brothers, residing on (now today) Mannix Campus.
In 1958, three new classrooms were added and the enrolment reached 110 boys with Form Three added. An Administration Block was built in 1959 and there was an enrolment of 160 boys in Forms One to Four. Tennis courts were also built that year and the oval was extended.
The Foundation staff members were the following:
1957-1958 Fr Thomas Collinson
1959-1963 Fr Alan McDonald
1964-1969 Fr Edward Cooper
In those early days, the religious staff lived at Oakleigh and came across to Chadstone every day. It was not until 1960 that a residential area was built for them, using the upstairs section of the administration block.
By 1960 there were 260 boys at the school and another form was added. The Chapel, dedicated to the memory of the Moroney family, was completed that year, along with the science rooms.
In 1961, the College was catering for Form Six boys and there were 360 students. Building continued during the year and a wing with two classrooms, a kitchen, dining rooms and a shower block was added to the complex.
In 1962, boarding commenced in the Naylon Building.
The B.M. Fedrigotti Senior Science wing was built in 1969.
1970-1973 Fr Adrian Wenting
1974-1976 Fr Edward Cooper
1977 Fr Kevin O’Leary
Between the years of 1970-1973, the creation of double story buildings commenced; Administration, Kimberley Hall and the College Library, along with three additional classrooms and the development of the Bosco Oval.
1975-1978 were the years in the College’s history where girls from Sacred Heart College Oakleigh came to complete their senior years of study. In this era there was a growing trend for girls to stay on beyond Year 10 to complete their studies, with the number of girls wanting to do this outweighing the capacity of local girls’ schools in the area. Over 120 girls graduated from Salesian College in those four years.
In 1979 Salesian College Chadstone commenced collaborative donations with Salesian Somoan affiliates.
1990-1994 Fr John Prest
1995 Fr Greg Chambers
Several years later, in 1995, a new Technology Studies Centre was established to help bridge the gap between secondary education and the world of employment and industry. During 1998, a major upgrade of the College’s Computer and Information Technology facilities and resources took place. This consisted of the construction of a new Computer Centre, Multimedia Laboratories, Minilabs and Special Education Area, as well as the provisions for Intranet and Internet Access.
2000-2001 Fr Greg Chambers
2002-2006 Fr John Prest
2007 Fr Chris Ford
Over the years the College maintained high academic standards in a faith-permeated environment. The College is a multicultural environment with an overriding aim to build a synthesis of faith and culture in the lives of all students.
With the arrival of the new Principal Fr Prest, the separate Year 9 Campus was established, later named the Mannix Campus.
2003 was the year that the College colours and uniform where modernised, with a change from the traditional green and gold, to the current navy, silver and red.
2007 saw the commencement of the Hall of Fame initiative to commemorate the College’s 50th Anniversary year. This initiative has seen 21 past pupils be inducted into the Hall of Fame.
2010-2011 Fr Chris Ford
2012 Mr Robert Brennan
In 2012, first lay Principal in the College’s history, Mr Robert Brennan commenced his leadership assignment.
2013 saw both the launch of the House Mascots and Mottos as well as the introduction of the Salesian Award system; a reward based system designed to recognise the boys’ involvement in Academic, Cultural, Community and Sporting areas.
2014 saw the upgrade of the state-of-the-art Fedrigotti Science Wing, encouraging enquiry and experiential learning.
2015 was the year the Naylon Arts Wing refurbishment took the lead as the largest building project in size and financial commitment in the College’s rich 58-year history.
Dux of 2015, Nimesh Kularatne achieved the highest score in the College’s history with an ATAR of 99.8; putting him in the top 0.15 percent of all Year 12 students in the state.
In 2016 saw of the opening of the Garelli building, a space for VCAL students to call their own. This building is equipped with three classrooms and a project break-out space, undercover canopy and courtyard.
In 2017, the College celebrated its 60th Anniversary. During this year the opening of the College’s first Food Technology rooms occurred, production of the 60 Year College video was created and the unveiling of the St John Bosco statue took place in an official blessing ceremony by Salesian Provincial Fr Greg Chambers and College Rector Fr Frank Bertagnolli.
For the first time in the College’s history, 2018 has seen the successful attainment of a capital grant under the Victorian Government’s capital funding program. Building is set to commence in May 2019 on the new Student Services and Administration Building at the Bosco Campus.
College Prayer, Song & Crest
“Proudly we sing our song, and faith filled we journey along.” These first lines of our College song become more a part of the fabric of our school each year. Our students identify strongly with our College song, which we proudly chant together at every Whole School Assembly. This anthem is integral to the culture of our College.
Our College Prayer draws inspiration from the philosophies of our founder, St John Bosco, asking God for his guidance in developing our students into fine young men.
Our College Crest combines key motifs from our heritage, including our motto ‘Omnia Omnibus’, and our star, harp, Griffin and two hills. Each symbol tells a story that hails from our founding origins.
“We’re side by side with joyful pride, Salesians true.”
God of all people,
We come before you as members of
Salesian College Chadstone.
We thank you for your many gifts
And we place our trust in you,
Like those who have preceded us,
And those who will follow.
We ask generosity for our hearts,
That we may give to others,
With reason and kindness.
We ask wisdom for our minds,
That we may learn from others,
With humility and faith.
We ask compassion for our souls,
That we may live for others,
With understanding and respect.
We seek the strength and courage to do your will,
And your blessing upon our whole College community,
As part of the Salesian family.
Saint John Bosco,
Pray for us.
Proudly we sing our song and
Faith-filled we journey along
Our traditions we hold true
Hail red, silver and blue
Striving to do our best we
Journey for excellence
In our studies and our play
Chadstone men we stand here together
Honour our story forever
Strong in mind with gentle hearts
Loyal to sons gone by
Don Bosco’s spirit before us
Our college motto calls us
‘To all people be all things’
Our pledge re-new
We’re side by side with joyful pride
The motto of ‘Omnia Omnibus is from the benefactor Archbishop Mannix’s crest and also has reference to St Francis of Sales, patron of the Salesian Society. The words are taken from St Paul and mean “To be all things to all” – the epitome of charity.
The star represents Mary, since Mary means ‘Star of the Sea’, shines on the two hills of Salesian College as a symbol of loving protection.
The harp symbolises Ireland and recalls the Irish extraction of two great benefactors, Archbishop Mannix and the Moroney family who originally settled the property in 1850.
The Griffin is a figure from Greek mythology, with the head of an eagle, symbolising protection, and the body of a lion, symbolising courage. According to legend, the Griffin guarded a great store of gold in a country called Scythia, far north of Greece. The Griffin is also used to represent the Salesian College Past Pupil’s Association.
The Two Hills
The College is built on two hills that originally was donated by the Moroney Family. Bosco Campus sits on the northern hill and our Mannix Campus is located on the southern hill.
Salesian College est. 1957
Salesian College Chadstone is named after the Order of the Salesians of Don Bosco and was established in 1957.