Salesian College Walkathon
‘Cambodia and Back’
This year, we are taking the DBOW Walkathon online!
We are aiming to travel to ‘Cambodia and back’ as a school. Our collective goal is to travel 13,950km over the course of Don Bosco Oratory Week. This equates to just under 14kms per person!
Using Strava, students will compete in Oratories and try to travel as far as they can over the course of the week.
- Ensure that your walks/runs last for no longer than 1 hour
- If exercising with a friend, ensure that social distancing guidelines (keeping 1.5m apart) are upheld
- Wear a face mask when walking and take a face mask with you if you are running
- Make sure that if you are going for a walk, that you select ‘Run’ on the record section of your Strava app. This needs to be done in order for the data to be recorded correctly
There are two options/suggestions. If you are able to:
- Donate an amount using the following details
Acc name: Salesian College Chadstone Sch Acc
BSB: 063 003
Acc number: 004905747
Tax deductible receipt available. Email email@example.com
- Gather 14 sponsors at $1 each
This can also be transferred using the details above
All proceeds will go directly to our Salesian brothers and sisters, supporting the ongoing education of the young in Cambodia.
How to Participate with the Strava App:
Creating an Account:
To create an account on Strava, use the following steps:
- Visit the following link https://www.strava.com/login and select “sign up”
- Enter your own name (nick names/other names will not be accepted into each house club by the Head of House)
- Enter your school email address and password of choice
- You have an account!
Refer to images below (click to enlarge).
To protect your privacy, please check your where you appear:
- In the app, click on your profile in the menu across the bottom of your screen.
- Select the “settings” turning wheel in the top left corner.
- Scroll down to the “privacy controls” tab
- Under the “where you appear” tab, change the “who can see” dropdown boxes for “profiles” to “followers”
- Change the “flyby” dropdown box to “No one”
To protect your home and school address, please ensure you set up a privacy zone:
- Navigate to the “privacy controls” tab
- Scroll down to the “additional controls – privacy zones” section and enter your home address and select “1000m radius”
- Click on the “Create privacy zone” button and it will hide your address from the activities you do!
We recommend you do not accept followers on Strava as this will allow them to see your activities, challenge progress and created routes.
To upload your exercise:
Using the app
- Open the app and look at the bottom taskbar for the option “record”
- Choose your sport by scrolling through the options at the bottom of the task bar
- Click the start button!
- Once you have finished, press the stop button and then hit finish
To save and upload the activity – hit “Save Activity”
Using the website
- Login to your Strava account
- Click on the plus symbol in the top right hand corner of your browser
- Using the app/website:
- Click on the dropdown logo “Add a Manual Entry”
- Fill out your exercise
- With a smartwatch:
- Click the dropdown “upload an activity”
- Click the logo of your chosen smart watch
- Click “connect” and it will automatically upload your exercise to Strava
Deleting your account
After the competition has finished or you have finished using the app, we suggest deleting your account. By following this process, your account and data will be permanently deleted.
- Log into the account on Strava.com that you wish to delete.
- Hover over your profile photo in the upper right-hand corner of the Strava page. Choose “Settings,” then find the “My Account” tab from the menu listed on the Left.
- Select the option to “Get Started” under “Download or Delete Your Account.”
- Check the box to confirm that you’ve already downloaded your data or you do not wish to download your data.
- Select “Request Account Deletion.” You will receive a confirmation email where you can complete the deletion process.
Participation in the Strava cup is optional for all students. You MUST create a privacy zone.