Blog

Jacob Curry’s Remote Learning Reflection

“Although this year has been no less than a difficult one, it has certainly changed my perspective of the importance of having the ongoing support from my friends, family and teachers. Unfortunately, our Year 12 hasn’t been ideal, but throughout online learning, I have really come to understand the importance of independence and organisation in life after school, as well as staying motivated, which was especially challenging for everyone.  I am so grateful that at Salesian, I was able to jump on a call with my teachers every day, and have their brilliant support from home, as it made my year 12 studies all the more normal as we would in face to face learning. But the stand out for me was the willingness of the teachers, to go out of their way in their own time, and talk to us boys. Ill give you an example; It was 2:00pm on a Friday at the end of a long week of home-schooling, and Miss Bradley, a much-loved teacher, happily sat on a Zoom call with some of us boys who were feeling a little overwhelmed. We simply started laughing about one thing before a hilarious 5-way debate took hold of the conversation, which ultimately lightened my mood, and took away from the stress of school we were all feeling. At the end of the call, she said something to me that I will always remember. She said, “Teachers who put relationships first don’t just have students for one year; they have students who view them as their teacher for life,” and I can honestly say that this is reflected in the dedication and generosity of all the staff at Salesian.”

Jacob Curry
Year 12 College Vice Captain