If you have a son who is beginning to consider possible career pathways, there are many workshops, information sessions and tours taking place in April that he may like to attend.
Airline Pilot Workshop: Flight Academy Australia
Flight Academy Australia is offering students who are interested in aviation an Airline Pilot Workshop Program. Students who participate in the program will receive information about training and course options, an introduction into aviation ground theory, two flight training lessons and a log book, and 30 minutes flight simulation times. A certificate is provided upon completion of this course.
Dates: 3-5 April (school holidays)
Location: Essendon Airport
Cost: $689, $100 deposit required
Further details: www.flyfaa.com.au
UMAT Preparation Workshop
Students in Year 12 who are interested in applying for medicine, dentistry or optometry may need to sit the compulsory UMAT Examination. The National Institute of Education (NIE) will be conducting a UMAT Preparation Workshop on Thursday 5 April at Victoria University. Students in Years 10 and 11 can also register, but it’s important to note that they cannot sit the UMAT until they are in Year 12.
- Thursday 5 April, Victoria University
- 9am to 5:30pm
- Lunch and refreshments provided
- Cost: $289
Visit www.nie.edu.au for more information
Deakin University Campus Tour
‘Step on Campus’ Program: During the school holidays, Deakin University runs their ‘Step on Campus’ Program; a 45 minute tour of your chosen campus hosted by a current Deakin University student.
- Run on Monday and Thursday of the school holidays
- Tour the campus of your choice (Melbourne (Burwood), Geelong, Waterfront, Waurn Ponds, Warrnambool)
- Find out about university life, including clubs, societies, and student services
- Learn about courses
- Ask about campus accommodation
- To find out more and to register, go to http://www.deakin.edu.au/about-deakin/events/step-on-campus
Experience Clever: La Trobe University
The ‘Experience Clever’ Program at La Trobe University (Bundoora Campus) invites students and their families to participate in three workshops of their choice or a ‘Clever Talk’, speak to course advisors and participate in a campus/accommodation tour.
Courses covered at the event:
- Biomedicine, Physics, Anatomy, Physiology
- Nursing & Midwifery, Physiotherapy & Podiatry,
- Orthopaedics, Paramedicine, Occupational Therapy, etc.
- Commerce, Bloomberg Trading Room, Accounting,
- Economics & Finance
- Media Industries & Communication, Journalism
- Events Management, Marketing, and Public Relations
- Creative Arts
- Cybersecurity, Computer Science
- Teaching, History, Archaeology, Languages,
- Criminology, Law
- Politics and International Relations
- Psychology & Social Work
- Sport degrees, Sport & Exercise Science
- Agriculture, Wildlife Sanctuary
La Trobe University, Bundoora Campus
Friday 6 April Careers
Registration now open via http://www.latrobe.edu.au/study/life/events/experience-clever
A Day at the University of Melbourne
During ‘A Day at the University of Melbourne’, students and their families are invited to learn about Undergraduate degrees and graduate pathways, admission and entry requirements, Melbourne University scholarships, accommodation options, transition tips and course information.
- Friday 6 April
- Melbourne University, Parkville Campus
- Find out more via https://futurestudents.unimelb.edu.au/explore/events
Game Art and Programming
Is your son interested in animation, game art and game programming? The Academy of Interactive Entertainment is inviting students to participate in a school holiday program on Thursday 12 and Friday 13 April.
- Thursday 12 to Friday 13 April, 9:30am to 4:30pm
- $260 per course
- For information and to book your place, go to http://www.aie.edu.au/courses/holiday_courses/Melbourne_Holidays
Victorian College of the Arts: Visual Art Folio Workshop
The Victorian College of the Arts (VCA) Visual Art Folio Workshop is an intensive short course in contemporary visual art practice. The program suits students who are beginning their Visual Arts studies in Years 11 and 12, as well as students who may require a folio for entry into a future tertiary course.
- Monday 9 to Friday 13 April, 10am to 4pm
- Cost: $550
- Students need to supply their own materials
- Located at the Victorian College of the Arts, The University of Melbourne
- To apply, visit http://vca.unimelb.edu.au/study/short-courses/visual-art-winter-school-folio-preparation
Zoo Keeper for a Day?
Is your son curious to know what a Zoo Keeper’s day really involves? Why not enrol him in Werribee Open Range Zoo’s ‘Keeper for a Day’ Program?
Heading behind-the-scenes, students will get a hands-on experience of what it is like to work as a zoo keeper as they take part in the many duties keepers undertake on a daily basis, including animal enrichment and exhibit maintenance.
Students will get to see our animals up close, speak with keepers about their jobs and experience a special safari tour across the savannah.
- 9:30am to 3:30pm, April 3, 5, 9 and 11
- For secondary school students only
- Cost: $115 per participant or $103.50 if you are a Zoo member
- Book by calling 1300 966 784.
Box Hill Institute is running this workshop for prospective students who would like to develop skills in fashion design and also start to develop a folio to support their entry into tertiary courses. The workshop will run on Wednesday 11 April at the Nelson campus. For information and to book your place, go to https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-fashion-illustrator-and-developing-your-fashion-portfolio-tickets-43963309442?aff=es2
LCI Melbourne – Student for a Day:
LCI Melbourne is a private college offering a Bachelor of Design Arts. Students can major in the following areas:
- Communication Design
- Fashion & Costume Design
- Filmmaking & Photography
- Graphic & Digital Design
- Interior Design
- Visual Arts
Prospective students are invited to join first year LCI students on April 12 to experience what it is like to study at the College. For information and to RSVP, go to http://www.lcimelbourne.edu.au/applications/student-for-a-day
Veterinary and Animal Science
Charles Sturt University (CSU) will be running a ‘MyDay’ at the Wagga Wagga campus on Monday 16 and Tuesday 17 April. Students can select from the following courses to experience and families are welcome to attend:
- Veterinary Science (this is one of the only undergraduate Veterinary Science courses in Australia)
- Veterinary Technology
- Animal Science
- Equine Science
For information and to register your place, go to http://futurestudents.csu.edu.au/unilife/social/campus-events/myday
Macleay College – Creative Media
Macleay College is a private institute in Melbourne offering vocational and higher education courses in the following areas:
- Digital Media
- Public Relations
- Sports Business
The College will be running a course information session on Tuesday 24 April, from 4:30pm to 7pm for students and families. To find out more, visit http://bit.ly/2p5jw1g
Monash University – Inside Monash Seminars
Monash University will be running a series of free 90-minute information seminars that aim to showcase different courses and faculties at the university. Prospective students and their families are welcome to attend. The following seminars are running in April:
April 19: Design
April 19: Law
April 23: Fine Arts
April 24: Biomedical Science and post graduate Medicine (MD)
April 26: Architecture
April 26: Business
April 26: Science
For information and to register for the sessions, go to http://bit.ly/2FeDiBF
Is your son interested in a career in nursing? The Australian College of Nursing is hosting a Nursing and Health Expo on Saturday 28 April at The Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre between 8.30am 1.30pm. He will be able to:
- Meet a range of nursing and health organisations
- Explore career pathways
- Find out about educational opportunities
For more information, go to http://bit.ly/2H8JKY8